View Single Post
Old 2008-05-30, 02:27   Link #87
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

@NSW:

As I said, it could simply be dramatic effect. However, how often does Yagi employ such cliches?

I think I might remember a single "sneezing when someone's talking about you" moment in the entire run of Angel Densetsu (and I'm not entirely sure about that; memory's a bit fuzzy). Yagi seems to assiduously avoid a lot of the common cliches in anime, part of what I love about his work. In any other series I'd dismiss it as just such a gimmick. In Claymore, though, there seems to be a reason for everything that happens, and a very solid grounding in the realism of his world. As such, I'm not entirely willing to disbelieve that there might be some alternate purpose for it.

In any case, I've run through just about everything I can speculate about over the last few weeks, and very few seem willing to argue counterpoints against me (though I'm very grateful to those who keep the discussions going in other ways). I'll allow for an "Irene is dead until blatantly shown otherwise" conclusion based on the cliche effect if you can show at least a few more samples of such writing (not just this technique, but any general cliche fallback) in the series for me. Otherwise I'll leave her in the "probably dead, but waiting for some real proof" box.