View Single Post
Old 2008-05-31, 18:09   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The main problem here is that chison feels that if his thread isn't on the first page of the fan creations forum then it won't receive many views. In many ways, that's true. Not many people will search back to page 2. Admittedly when I started my photography thread I wanted to keep my thread on the first page for the same reason.

Here's the thing: this is a discussion forum. If you want your own dedicated space for your artwork, you are better off creating your own website or joining a site like DeviantArt (or for us photographers, Flickr). Those will serve your needs better.

If you're like me, and you wanted to stay here because you enjoy the community for its members, then there's no problem. Update your thread whenever you have material to update it with - it will get views as new things are posted, I guarantee you. If you're worried about exposure, link to your thread in your signature. It's what I noticed that most of the artists here do, and now I do it as well. That form of advertising only really works if you're active in other areas of the community, of course. If you're not, then what's keeping you here?

I can commiserate about being a slow updater compared with the Photoshoppers. With photography I can go for months without ever picking up my camera before I go on an outing where good photography opportunities exist, and even then there's no guarantee that I'll come away with images worth sharing. If you want to share with this community, you need to stop seeing that first page as something to compete over. You also need to get over the number of views that your thread has as a measure of how good you are (although I still do that for fun, sometimes ). Older threads are going to have more views than yours, as are threads that have more conversation going on. And as Solace mentioned, participate in the community. Take a look at KiNA's thread - it has an insane number of views. There are a lot of possibilities as to why, but part of the reason is that he is very active in the forums.

It can be hard to keep updating, especially if you think your work is terrific and you're expecting loads of compliments. Try to go in without those expectations. I request critiques and such on my pictures, but if you're not a photographer, what can you really say? So I reached out to the other two photographers with their own threads (and started a social group for photographers) in an effort to be able to bring up my hobby and have it be relevant here. I can't offer much comment to Photoshoppers and original artists, but on occasion I will check out their works and offer what remarks I can. Reach out to other original artists, and yes, maybe give some thoughts to the other artists in the forum if you're feeling like trying something new. Ironically, this all works similar to how BitTorrent does: you get what you give.