View Single Post
Old 2008-06-06, 20:22   Link #155
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
We're already way away from this being a direct copy of the relationship. Atm we're getting a reverse Minmei with Ranka/Alto and episode 5 Sheryl and Alto's date was rather similar to DYRL Minmei's date.
We're far from it, yes, but at the same time all this shipping reminds me of it due to the way people are saying that Ranka will win because she's the underdog, just as people say Sheryl will 'win' as she's the Misa-type, older and more mature.

I hates it. We hates it like we hates Naruto. We hates it with a passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS. I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush. There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.
Ranka and Alto are certainly closer than 'just friends' - remembering back during episode 4, he stayed up in bed to read her messages and to respond. They're both trying to make their own marks in the world (Ranka wants to be heard, Alto wants to escape his father's shadow) outside of those formed by their relatives (or lack of). And initially, Alto's purpose was to protect Ranka - only later, after Sheryl pointed out some people did things 'because they wanted to, or were meant to' that he took on the role as much for himself as for 'another', just as Ranka's only now starting to escape the 'I'm doing this because Alto encouraged me to' one that showed up in earlier episodes (like the Mall performance in Ep 5 was triggered by seeing Alto's paper plane). She's starting to find herself, and like any adolescent, is having some difficulty doing so.

They're certainly close, although Sheryl's also catching up to some degree... but doing so with both of them. With Ranka, she's seemingly taken a proprietary interest in someone who either reminds her of herself... or someone that she wanted to be, and is actively encouraging that talent. The shocker of this episode may as much have to do with trying to goad Ranka on, as much as to tease Alto. Or because she really wanted to.

Besides, I suspect there will at LEAST be a solid friendship at the end between all three, if they survive. They started that back in episode 3 in the shelter, and things since then have continued it even if there's a possible rivalry due to their roles in one another's lives. Ranka's starting to become more conscious of the fact that she DOES like Alto, which is at least a step in developing any real feelings towards him beyond that of gratitude for saving her life... or for listening and being the encouraging friend without being presumptuous like Nanase can be at times.

In some ways, Alto's usurped Ozma's position as the most important male figure in Ranka's life... but Ozma did it to himself. I'm sure Lt. Glass will be most happy to tell him why he can't just be gruff with everyone... or Bobby might go GARby and end up doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
I still feel like she doesn't "get" Alto at the moment, compared to Sheryl. But like I said that will change.
That's because Ranka's still a kid, emotionally.. and she's yet to really grasp the emotional undercurrents which drive a lot of adult relationships. She's starting to grow up, though - and that'll change everything. Right now, the dynamics of their interactions are confined by the fact that Alto's aware she's very young... and because Ranka's still in needy-child mode, since she's yet to move out of onii-chan's shadow. Ozma is, at least, recognizing he can't be her overbearing oniichan forever, which is why he let Elmo sign her in the first place, and gave her that speech in episode 7 about that.