View Single Post
Old 2004-04-16, 13:45   Link #9
Suikun

Actually, I pretty much fit right into Liquidus' example. I personally don't see what the big deal about Cowboy Bebop is, and I'd much rather watch something like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (the Japanese version, of course) than most episodes of Cowboy Bebop.

Aside from the two double-part episodes and the episode where Faye receives a video tape of herself as a kid, I thought the show was basically just a bunch of episodic stories void of any real emotion or substance - and when it did display those traits, it seemed too forced. It is definitely entertaining - the fact that I own the Perfect Collection of DVDs that Bandai put out a while ago tells you that I don't think it's that bad... but at the same time, all you ever hear about is how great Cowboy Bebop is or how it's the definition of what anime should be, when it's just not that great. It's slightly above mediocre at best. Meanwhile, Yu-Gi-Oh!, though not the greatest thing in the world, does successfully do what it sets out to do - make a series about a card game entertaining. It's a bit deeper than that (especially if you've read the manga - then suddenly the reason why everyone takes a card game so seriously becomes a little more understandable) but in the end I don't think it ever doesn't live up to what it's supposed to, where as Cowboy Bebop constantly disappointed me in light of how much praise it gets.

I guess it mostly just bugs me that it's as popular as it is, when I really don't think it deserves to be. There are tons of other shows, like Now and Then, Here and There, Gunslinger Girls, etc. that deserve the amount of popularity that Cowboy Bebop gets.