Thread: Linux sub woes
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-24, 03:57   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
By the way, you can grab a screenshot just by pressing Print Screen. No need to open the GIMP or things like that. Though in GNOME you have no way of saving it as a JPG (PNG only) so you'd have to use the GIMP to convert it to JPG if you want it to be suitable for the web.

By the way,

Code:
ass=1
embeddedfonts=1
fontconfig=yes
correct-pts=1
That's all I have in my mplayer config file regarding subs. Proto's config file is missing the last "correct-pts" entry... I don't know how it might affect it.

A comment on the UNIX way of handling applications' configurations:

Everything in UNIX is a file. Save for binaries (regular executables and object files), every file is editable with a regular text editor (gedit, included in GNOME, is a very powerful one--miles ahead from the ridiculously basic Notepad). In UNIX, most applications save their configurations (in editable text files) in a hidden directory, starting with a dot, under the user's home directory. Open up the console and do:

Code:
user@box:~$ ls -a
...and you'll see lots of those hidden folders appear. The command ls lists the current directory's files, and the option -a tells it to display everything, including hidden files.

There are several advantages to this type of configuration--one of them is the fact that there's a strong separation between application content and application configuration. Even if you uninstall mplayer, the ~/.mplayer directory is kept, and were you to reinstall it, it would take the same configuration as before (there's a slight exception regarding a particular option, --purge, when using apt to uninstall a program). That's a huge advantage when reinstalling a system (supposing you used a separate partition for the /home/ folder). Another advantage is that if you have an application that is behaving strangely, removing the configuration folder may solve it pretty neatly without the need of reinstalling--that is, of course, supposing the issue has to do with its configuration.

By the way, I don't know how are you handling the installation of programs, but please do everything through the repositories. This is not Windows--you don't need to go look for the software on the developers' homepage.

If you want more help with Ubuntu and Linux in general, feel free to drop by the relevant thread in the Tech Support forum.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-06-24 at 04:12.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote