Thread: Swords in Anime
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-09, 01:00   Link #7
Jiji
*Scanlator

Vexx and I are usually totally in synch, but in this case, I have to disagree slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
2) The last sword ..... rule of thumb - if it costs less than $100, its a piece of crap that may shatter or break on first swing. A marginally combat-ready sword will run about $250-$500.
Actually, even swords that run $250 - 500 are still crap. I don't mean for the "true collector" or the most discerning eye. I mean that they will still not even hold up to actual iai-do practice, let alone tameshigiri (cutting practice with straw bundles). If you want a real sword, something that can withstand actual combat (which I am NOT condoning, btw) or at least martial arts practice, you're going to pay upwards of $1500. I wish I were kidding. Please see this link: Bugei Trading Company

Their forum is really an experience to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Howeverf, if you're just going to display it and not swing it around, <$100 is fine.
This, OTOH, I agree with. Norris is right, though. It's amazing how easy it is to make a buck off of people who want the uber-cool anime sword they saw.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote