View Single Post
Old 2008-08-31, 20:47   Link #1419
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I'm really puzzled at the lack of mention of Midchilda until this very last part. How could the nations that wielded the next most pravelent form of magic not have been involved in the end stages of the Belka War? Perhaps they were busy with their own wars? Where the Belkans failed to unify, Mid succeeded?
More alarming is that Belka seems to have ended the war on a positive note. Even though they called the Unification War a "war without winners", the Saint Kaisers seem to have done enough that the Church was established to remember them. If that's the case, what happened to their Belkan Nation? Why was it, by MC0000, all they had left was the SAR on Mid? If the Kaisers hadn't succeeded in pulling together a large portion of Belka, what were they remembered for? If they did succeed, did the nation simply fall apart after their descendants disavowed their heritage? Leaving the Church to clean up the mess as best as possible by cooperating with Mid? So many questions.
Extending the lore is all well and good, but I wish they had thought about consistency when thinking this up. At the rate things are going, 7arcs might forget that Mid's is supposed to be the dominant magic form by Nanoha's 4th season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Most likely Mid simply didn't rise to power untill Belka fell, and once it did, the versatallity of the Mid system made it the next dominant form of magic.

~~~

The article actually answers that, it says "they stopped declaring that they were blood relatives of Belka.In addition, the tradition and the armament of the ancient Belka magic almost became extinct in this time, too." Basically, Belka burned itself out during the unification war, and they stopped the fighting to avoid being destroyed completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
The first part is a possibility, but the second is off. Back in A's, Yuuno said Belka and Mid-styles each had about half of all magic users once. That can only be possible if both had that much influence at the same time.

~~~

Yet, they seem to be almost "completely destroyed". After thinking about it some more, maybe not. Perhaps what remained of the Belka Empire was like Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire, followed by the rise of the modern nation-states. The Belka SAR could nestled amongst countries that have Belkan cultural heritage, but now belong to Mid. Like how the Vatican is in Europe.
Quote:
If one style declines and the other rises to power, then logically there will be a point in time where the two share roughly an equal amounts of use.

~~~

This makes me wonder, how large are the Belkan controlled regions anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Does Yuuno specifically say they each had half of all magic-users at the same time? Because there are 200+ other magic systems out there that could have filled up the other 50% if Belka fell from power and Mid took its' place.
Quote:
He doesn't give any hard numbers, just that they once shared a same amount of magic users.
I believe at the height of its power, Ancient Belka commanded stars and dimensions and like Shba said, was probably the interdimensional Roman Empire.

The other pointers have been bookmarked for further musings for my next treatise on the history of the Holy Belka Imperium.