View Single Post
Old 2008-09-11, 12:11   Link #87
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Mm i guess you misunderstood what i meant, or i was being too ambiguous with what i wanted to say I skimmed over the details listed on the web page and it seems quite accurate indeed (as much as i can recall without turning to references, as my history knowledge in this department has gotten quite rusty (And was never a big fan of the specific period ), despite its a period we extensively studied at school) ... but what i wanted to say is - since the show is a movie, and one involving supernatural elements that are likely to be a focus of the show, i am not expecting them to dwell much on the setting due to time constraints. The setting is there, but i have my doubts whether it is going to get much of attention in the anime itself.

That is partially correct, as actually the Baltic states got to fight on both sides, and not really by their own choosing. (Occupied by the USSR in 1940, "liberated" by the german offensive in 1941, and "re-liberated" once again by the Red Army in 1944).
Yeah, I would't say they were as happy about fighting the Soviets as the Germans were. They seem to be in the same boat as Finland. They didn't like either side, but the Soviets were 'worse'.

The Soviets had several operations in 42. Mars was a massive failure on Army Group Center. Funny, Uranus was supposed to be a diversion while Mars was the main attack. Mars failed, while Uranus succeeded spectacularly.

On a side note, I am glad I found some people who know military history. Besides Axis History Forums, I never get to talk about my favorite hobby(Yes, even more than anime/manga lol). Glad to see I am not the only history buff here. I have over three hundred books concerning early 20th century wars(Russo-Japanese war, Baltic Wars, Mexican Civil war, etc) to the Arab-Israeli Wars. I like to read, watch, play any game in between. Spanish Civil War, Sino-Japanese war, Korea, loss of the European colonies in the 50/60s, etc. Pretty much all of it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote