View Single Post
Old 2008-10-25, 13:19   Link #311
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Wiki has it otherwise. Major being OF-3, Captain OF-2, and 1st, 2nd LTs are both OF-1. Is that correct? or am I looking at it wrong again?
Many NATO nations have a different standards so Captain is Standardized among them as O-2, but for the US armed forces a Captain is O-3.

Quote:
There goes my attempt to pull a Zero no Tsukaima 3 ref. I thot familiars were like Nanoha in that aspect. Removed transformation, nerfed speech to only mental link with Fran, and when near Fran can use her ability to communicate via radio.
Acutally the speech was canon it turns out; although in an as yet unreleased source.

Most of the rest of this has been thoroughly trashed in IRC so I'm not going to repeat it all. Though on that note I would like to say sorry for maybe coming down a little hard some of the ideas purposed where pretty awful, but some of them might be able to work with some modification… some of them at least. Can talk about it later though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yes, but whether being accepted as a girl is a good thing is up for debate, as it means they'll treat her like a girl as well, thus increasing the awkwardness.
To turn all this on its ear think about it this, gender roles are learned. They're learned from many sources but your peers and the culture you're in are very big ones, and your early teens are a key time in developing many of those roles. Now consider who the peers are and what the culture would be like among the witches of that age in WWII. It would likely be a culture about violence, a definite social hierarchy, and that values physical prowess and toughness as well aggression. Now given that what sort of behavior do you think would predominate? I think you'd quickly find most of the "girls" are suddenly starting to act very much like teenage boys, and it seems quite unlikely many of them would fit into our current definitions of “girly” at all.

There would also probably be a very large disconnect from the female population at large again due to culture. The witches would likely act very different then there more normal peers, due to there experience (even excluding combat). They would likely be noticeably more assertive, belligerent, and less willing to assent to men’s wishes then average girls of there age at that time. They might well be regarded by many as rather bitchy and impudent by there elders, and intimidating by male peers. This could likewise go along way to explaining why they chose mainly to associate with each other by the looks of it, and have minimal contact with outsiders for the most part.

But this is just me showing off that I've taken sociology classes so ignore my ramblings.

Quote:
They're planning to follow the KotoR style: Even as a Sith you can do good things, and even as a Jedi you can do bad things. I hope this means they'll give us something MMO's rarely give us: Choice.

Do I let this guy live, or do I kill him? Do I pay for this man, or do I butcher the one demanding payment? Do I side with A or with B?

Choices like that are too rare in MMO's.
"I'm sick of games that claim to have choice, but that only come down to Mother Teresa or baby eating, all I'm saying is that a little middle ground is nice now and then."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ion/4-BioShock

Quote:
Brutal Thomasina is brutal. No remorse in that girl, is there?
You know who she's based on right... Side’s she’s just Tsundere only without the dere and the Tsun replaced with vitriolic hate.

Quote:
Emotional tone or the setting itself? I mean, I can see how they depart on the emotional tone considering the setting up to chapter 4 is more like a high-school setting rather then a military one, but the setting itself (Neuroi design, Neuroi background, familiars) seems to be much closer to the novels then the anime, which basically altered the first, never did much with the second but altered what they did, and never mentioned the third. Not to mention the anime made it seem as if Brittania was the only front, and the 501st was the only Witch squadron.
Sel is a huge tease he drops all these hints and tidbits and then leaves us hanging and bumbling around in the dark like a bunch of blind mentally handicapped two year old's...

Quote:
Yes, we must know about those teacups! Even though the chances of many of us actually using the 501st Witches are low, and the political and logistical information on Brittania and Gallia would be much more useful, we must know about those teacups!
I have some ideas for them myself some less cracky then others, but none of them really hinge upon intimate knowledge of there table settings...

Quote:
... Okay, maybe that was a bit too much sarcasm. <_<
Na! There is after all, as we all full well know, no way there couldn't possibly ever be such a thing as too much sarcasm!

Quote:
Thanks for the translations, Selkirk.
Yes thanks... now work faster slave!
No seriously please don't stop if you do we'll all go emo and dress in dark wigs, put on lots of eye liner, and mope around all day composing bad poetry and trust me you don't want THAT.
Quote:
Considering Neuroi are made out of metal, a human powering a Neuroi core seems really unlikely.
Hey metal is good for you we could all use more iron in our diet! (and magnesium, and zinc, but not so much lead though that stuffs not so good, and it's particularity bad for you if administered hot and at several hundred meters per second...)

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-10-25 at 15:55.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote