View Single Post
Old 2004-05-23, 12:14   Link #21
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Well, my own programming experience is limitied to what I've learned in college, and sadly it's not a lot for a csc student. Unfamiliar with any programming needing to be done to do that, but from what I do know of programming if you can get it to work once it's just a matter of copy and paste and then modifying it to work again. Unfamiliar with the KareKano discs (not even 100% sure i know the series... ) Anyway you can post a pic, I'd love to see what they did since it's the first I've heard of a company doing that. I only used the dogma disc as an example of something neat that can be done. Creating two different english subtitles isn't as difficult, at least i wouldn't imagine it to be. Heck, you can keep all the text at the bottom of the screen and just put the extra junk in a couple paranthesis.
Programming a DVD's subtitle layer is not as easy as programming in a high level language. There's a lot more restrictions on what you can do, mostly because of the DVD spec. You can probably get a similar feel for the type of programming involved if you try to do actual coding on a realtime system based on a very small embedded chip.
Putting notes in parentheses will really clutter the screen if you stick everything on the bottom.
With notes, though, ADV has done an excellent job in Excel Saga by putting in ADVidnotes. They've also done so in Abenobashi, though there are a few unnecessary ones. AD Vidnotes are optional, so you can watch it once without the notes and once with the notes, since they do add clutter when they are shown.
Frankly, a paper version of the notes would be nice also, since you can look at it at your leisure. (Our anime club showed Excel Saga with vid notes off, but someone would summarize the gist of them in the newsletter)