View Single Post
Old 2009-01-03, 22:17   Link #148
decoy1686

Question Why do all Mobile Suits only have 1 crewman?

This has been bugging me for a long time. I love Gundam and almost all the different series. But this has really been nagging me. Why do all the mobile suits only have one crewman?

An M1 Abrams tank has a 4 man crew. Commander, driver, gunner, and loader. A fighter jet can usually have a 2 man crew. Pilot and gunner. Bombers during World War II could have a much larger crew.

So in Gundam, we have these incredibly sophisticated pieces of military hardware. Each joint and limb requiring multiple motors, armor, and control. There are cameras all over the thing. Not to mention it stands tall over most of a battlefield, giving it a much larger group of targets to fire on and lock onto. It can have any number of shield, melee weapon, and ranged weapon configurations. Not to mention the immense power consumption this thing must eat up. (In the UC series I believe it has a nuclear power source. You would think that alone would require a crewman.)

So we have all this advance technology, all needing to work in unison..... and the only person on the crew is the pilot? That's it?

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to hear outside thoughts on the subject, since it has been bugging me for the better part of the past decade.
decoy1686 is offline   Reply With Quote