View Single Post
Old 2009-01-11, 18:23   Link #23
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
While I applaud the author for giving Kanako a reason to hate men which was better than Sachiko's "I hate my arranged marriage but I never consider that my father probably also had one and that just might be the reason why he has lover(s)"
Are you trying to say that's not a good reason to have a certain dislike of men? Or are you trying to justify her father's cheating? I understand people are human and sometimes cheat but trying to justify it with a reason like, "I'm unhappy in this marriage so I will make both my wife and child suffer for it", doesn't really fly with me. He openly flaunts his relationships with other women so much so that even people outside the family are well aware of it. This is certainly going to have an effect on a child. I doubt he lets his wife have such relationships but feels somehow that it's alright for himself. That kind of hypocrisy and his lack of care about what it does to his wife and child doesn't earn him any sympathy from me.

Sachiko also has to deal with Kashiwagi's, who also doesn't take other people's feelings into account when he speaks or acts, and her impending marriage to a gay man(him). The anime counterpart honestly is far more likable that the novel one because those scenes are often cut. I can see how this can cause a dislike of men. Should she try to overcome it? Yes, but I'm not going to absolve the men around her that caused it of blame.

Kanako's situation was handled horribly(in the novel especially) and I can't help but worry about if in the end Sachiko's situation won't be as badly handled.