View Single Post
Old 2009-02-17, 19:09   Link #60
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Had high hopes seeing as this has the same author/producer as Seirei no Moribito but..

After two episodes, the art/animation looks lower budget, the pacing is really slow, especially at the beginning where you're supposed to hook the audience, none of the characters feel interesting so far, the mother looks so sickly she's almost a pain to watch and Erin looks far from being able to carry a show on her own the way Balsa did. Disappointing. =/

Does it get any better later on?
You have to understand that this is aimed at a completely different audience than Moribito. It is for kids, almost, though I'd say 11-13 year olds for my part.
Hence they are trying to cut down on the violence by drawing in absolutely brilliant pastel art. Contrary to what others may think, this was an excellent decision, since it allows us to look at things from a child's point of view without decreasing the drama. The art is already better than so many other shows that are airing (understandable, since it's IG and all...), and I personally can't see anything worth complaining about.

If you've been following the economic trends lately, most animation studios in Japan are facing serious problems, and having to resort to layoffs or being completely safe in their choice of productions (like Asu no Yoichi, Akikan, yet another Higurashi spinoff, more FMA, the Eureka 7 movie... and Gonzo letting 3/4 of their employees go.). IG is taking a huge financial risk in doing Erin, and as a 50 episode series no less.

Erin is a completely believeable character, acting like a real child, quite innocent, and eager to help those around her. She has normal friends, and a hardworking single mother, she likes animals and nature. Perhaps she does not capture the audience like Balsa, but what will be interesting is how she will grow throughout this series.
I have many expectations of Erin, and I'm quite sure it/she will not disappoint.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote