View Single Post
Old 2009-03-14, 22:34   Link #2293
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

My concern with the current cycle of EPL dominance in the Champions League is that it has its basis purely on financial resources. I don't see the trend reversing itself, or reverting to another league, unless the financial picture significantly changes. In the EPL, foreign owners are liable to purchase any club in the league and through their own largess convert a traditionally mediocre side into a world beater (i.e., Chelsea). With the recent purchase of Manchester City by oil sheiks, I don't see the situation bettering itself. There have also been constant rumblings that Arsenal is ripe for purchase by Middle Eastern buyers.

On the other side of the coin, AC Milan is a perfect example of what has gone wrong on the continent. They currently feature Paolo Malidini (age 40) in the back, who has been there since before I was born (no knock on him, since he is my favorite player, but still). They just recently purchased David Beckham (age 33), who, for all his free kick prowess, would not start for any of the EPL top four. They also brought back Shevchenko (age 32) who is long past his best. And that is not mention Seedorf (age 32), Nesta (age 32), and Ronaldinho (age 28...going on 37).

What I fail to grasp is how Silvio Berlusconi can continue to play poor when his resources far exceed those of the Glazers and the owners of Liverpool. It seems like all the best players now almost exclusively ply their trade in England. The only thing holding anyone back, it seems, is that some of the Argentinians and Brazilians have always been reluctant to make the trip to the island. That said, with the arrival of Tevez, Mascherano, and Robinho, even that seems to be changing. Indeed, if the choice was completely left to AC Milan, Kaká would be there as well. And if Messi wasn't so fragile, I have no doubt that he would have a Manchester United or Chelsea shirt right now.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote