View Single Post
Old 2009-03-18, 02:28   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
I guess, at the end of the day, it was quite a superb series after all, and mind you, I was secretly watching this together with CLANNAD. The direction and arts were there. I can't really nitpick on this. However, one thing is missing: The tail. It neither comes to a conclusion nor does it seem to have a lead-on effect to what's to come. [Haruhi concludes better, but that's another story]

Maybe it's a way to hold people on for the next season, assuming more material on the series comes in. I remember the period where there was an outrage in Japan over Nagi. Really, on behalf of my fellow Japanese [I'm half-Japanese, half-Chineese], I apologize over the ruckus created by a few extremists. It was just as bad during the Kannazuki no Miko "flute rape" incident, really. I guess some people are deluded in their own way.

Also, Kannagi does something that Lucky star cannot: do crossovers in a way that is not ridiculous. I personally don't really like Lucky Star for its crossovers, but in Kannagi, they make me smile. Like in ep 10, when everyone goes to karaoke, Jin walks into the wrong room and runs into the Lucky Star cast, and in episode 6 where Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) with blue hairband passed by. Little things like these make me smile.

So, yeah.
See, those are like easter eggs in games and movie DVDs... knowing about them is totally unnecessary to enjoying the story -- but they're "moments" of fun.

That's always been my pain with Lucky*Star. I love the original material and a fair amount of the series I think is an outstanding rendition of the manga -- but the "crossovers" or insertions were ham-handed and sometimes left a segment confusing or flat if you didn't know the connection. Paniponidash was far more laden with such things but managed to be funny til the last part of the series when it almost became a slideshow of cultural refs --- not there as "funny", just inserted to be inserting them.