View Single Post
Old 2009-03-27, 17:58   Link #2654
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Pfffft. Wimp.
You misunderstand me. I was talking about spices, not stuff that rates off the scoville charts. There are plenty of dishes that are meant to just see if you can breath fire but spice to me is a compliment. I like both spicy and hot dishes, but I prefer flavors that enhance each other. If any one ingredient in my meal is overpowering I don't enjoy it as much. While I sometimes seek out a very hot dish, I don't desire getting used to it either. Constantly using very hot spices dulls my tastes for "non spicy" foods. It's just personal preference, I have friends that always eat the spiciest things they can find (and not just the "wimpy" tobasco )

SeedFreedom's answer has some merit:

Quote:
Because of the burning sensation caused by capsaicin when it comes in contact with mucous membranes, it is commonly used in food products to give them added spice or "heat" (pungency). In high concentrations capsaicin will also cause a burning effect on other sensitive areas of skin. The degree of heat found within a food is often measured on the Scoville scale.

Cooling and mechanical stimulation are the only proven methods to relieve the pain. The burning sensation will slowly fade away if no actions are taken.

It is common for people to experience pleasurable and even euphoriant effects from eating capsaicin-flavored foods. Folklore among self-described "pepperheads" attributes this to pain-stimulated release of endorphins, a different mechanism from the local receptor overload that makes capsaicin effective as a topical analgesic. In support of this theory, there is some evidence that the effect can be blocked by naloxone and other compounds that compete for receptor sites with endorphins and opiates.
Capsaicin