View Single Post
Old 2009-04-14, 14:53   Link #39
Ayanami9870
ANBU Editor/QC
*Fansubber

Glad to see that this year's panel is going to be more centered the industry side of things. In last year's thread I felt there was too much focus on who was going to "represent the fansubbing side." Now that the ice is broken, we can really begin to touch base with both sides. With all the changes that have happened in fansubbing, it was only a matter of time before a response would emerge from the industry. I think all of us will be interested to hear what the industry has to say about Crunchyroll and the new online video streaming model Funimation (and for a while, GONZO) has been trying out.

There have been a lot of different views on this thread, from the effectiveness of this panel to the many nuances on the business side of things, from copyright, to production, to licensing. I think we can all agree that getting some definitive words from the industry people at this panel or any subsequent panel with a similar purpose would be best way to approach it. So I say, just let them sit down and have ample opportunity to speak out to us, talk about crunchyroll and other things that have been on their minds. It is their turn to share their stories. There's a potential for us to learn a lot from these recent developments.

Depending on how things change throughout the rest of the year, I think it'll be the first time in a long time where fansubbers have one unifying topic to spark debate about amongst ourselves. Regardless of whether fansubbers can come to a consensus or not (as if we ever had consensus on anything), I feel it is good for the fansubbing scene to gain awareness on these kinds of issues once again; to debate about an industry that many of us have come to neglect over the years.

Good luck on the industry invites, fresh. I look forward to the logs from the panel. Hopefully by the time it's done, we'll have gained some valuable information.
Ayanami9870 is offline   Reply With Quote