View Single Post
Old 2009-06-06, 20:15   Link #27
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Punches as punishment to unintended gropes or peeks are to demonstrate the "pureness" or the girl character and what I called women being "emotionally unstable and irresponsible" to overreact in such a way. The question is not what happens to males or females in the anime but what message should be transmitted. And the message is clearly: the girl is in the wrong, the boy is in the right. Not because the girl is really evil, but worse, because of her very female inability to act maturely. I don't know Love hina but I'm sure it works like most harem in that regard.
That may be your reception (and mine for that matter), but the majority sees this situation as the girl being completely right to slap the guy for seeing her naked, since she is strong and assertive enough to retain her purity as you mentioned and condemns the guy for being a pervert even though whatever he did was unintentional. Most of the comments regarding such situations condemn the guy for being a wuss and a pervert instead of the girl for being a violent bitch - "emotionally unstable and immature". Don't get me wrong - I agree with you here, but the majority does not.

Love Hina is basically the archetype for the harem comedy (if we don't count Ranma 1/2, who is slightly different).

Quote:
Shana is obviously not perfect enough to identify the useless male as useless. Instead she clings at him (who is of course absolutely unresponsive) like every other chick in the anime. And the whole anime is of course about him stopping being useless and finally surpassing her, restoring the "rightful" order. Zero is all talk and that is clear from episode one. Again you shouldn't look at what happens to whom but at the message transmitted.
Shana is one of the most popular characters around, especially here at animesuki, despite clinging to Yuuji, who is useless, and Yuuji is generally hated, although not as much as other male leads in his situation. He is generally condemned for being indecisive about the whole Shana-Yoshida situation and about being a burden in a fight. Also, if the anime is about him stopping to be useless and eventually surpassing Shana - well, it's not doing a good job at it. It took Yuuji a season and 3/4 to stop being useless and after 2 seasons he is still a long way from surpassing Shana.

Quote:
Claymore serves the fighting girl fetish. The Claymores have special powers but for reasons explained and they are still inferior to their male "counterparts". The anime's reason of existence is not to tell the male viewership that they are less worthy than girls. Claire is however one of the positive female role models I'm talking about.
In case you haven't read the manga and don't want to be spoiled:
Spoiler:

The male characters outside the organization are either useless (Raki) or inferior to the female ones (Easley, Rigaldo, Duff, etc.), so I think Claymore is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.