View Single Post
Old 2009-07-03, 02:26   Link #223
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I still had a blast watching this episode. I'm enjoying that each scene to the degree that it covered the same events had subtle differences that were pronounced. I especially preferred Kyon's reaction this time to hearing Koizumi with Mikuru over the phone, yelling at him as he affirmed he'd meet them and was leaving right that moment.

The reactions on this forum have been interesting to say the least. KyoAni is certainly proving who the fans of the show are for what the show does and who are not for one reason or another. One attempting to be creative is no guarantee of success that the creative output will be well executed is certainly true. But equally true is that viewers are a fickle lot and go into a show with preconceived notions, biases, and expectations. Nobody including KyoAni can be expected to win over everybody universally, and that there had been many people they have not won over is no indication that they have failed in a proper execution according to their intentions and in a way that pleases people whom they had hoped it would please.

Personally, I do like how the episodes are in a certain sense effectively keeping the interest of novel readers, if not all of them then those who do find value in these episodes offering something fresh by not letting those in the know know when they'll have the resolution that they're anticipating. To some degree I can sympathize with viewers who haven't followed the novel and don't quite get what's happening. But I consider the Endless Eight arc to be a very well articulated and truly heartfelt love letter to faithful fans of the novel series, among which I count myself. Thank you KyoAni for taking me into consideration, even if at the consequential preclusion of others.