View Single Post
Old 2009-07-09, 19:18   Link #308
stubby42

I'm not exactly sure where to put my question because I feel that its inappropriate to put it in the Q and A topic because it relates specifically to the genderbending of Haruhi but I also feel that it's kind of off topic from what is being discussed.

I dont really know how to explain this so it might end up being a bit rambly so sorry about that but here goes.

I was wondering what would generally be considered the first design for the genderbent cast that are recognisable as the designs in common use today?

For about the last year I've basically been emersed in internet theory studying everything from how information flows on the net to how projects like wikipedia actually work which conecided with my watching of Haruhi and the discovery of this website.

What facinates me about the genderbending project are two observations, one the re writing of the novels is one of the rare examples of the production of a book being crowdsourced (Taking a task normally done by a designated individual in this case an author and giving the task to a large group of people in the form of an open call) people have theoriesed about it being possible but its never actually been done.

I'd also be interested to see if contributions to the project followed a power law distribution, where the top 10% of contributors provide 90% of the contributions.

The second observation being that in terms of the fan art it appears to be an example of collective intelligence.

What I mean by that is according to convention wisdom, if a group of artists distributed throughout the world with little to no contact is asked to take a specified character from one tv show then draw them in the opposite sex there should be as many different interpitations as there are artists.

but there isnt, theres one character design that is the approved design and any deviation is wrong.

Why did that happen? I've not really been around long enough to add real insights into this occurance having other members of the community shed some light on how the project developed in its infancy (assuming those members are still around) would really help me shed some light on how collective intelligence works.

As you can see the topic of discussion is more about how the project functions rather than actually writing it.