View Single Post
Old 2009-08-19, 10:00   Link #76
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Think of it as Fictional Behavioral Taxonomy. It allows for a quick summary of one's general traits (usually for introduction purposes) and makes interseries comparisons (between similar characters) easier. Here, the archtypes themselves are the representative specimens (control), whose behavioural patterns have already been mapped out. Characters of the same archtype are compared based on how much they diverge or adhere to these patterns.
I was under the impression that traditional Japanese dramatic arts heavily utilized character types (or archetypes if you will) as an accepted storytelling device to reduce the time and creative burden of 'demonstrative' characterization. That time and energy can be spent investing in other story aspects such as mood and atmosphere, message, plot, etc.

If true, that would help make Japanese audiences more receptive or even demanding of such techniques. However regardless of the cultural acceptance, One can see the same benefits being taken advantage of in the context of a modern anime production company which is always strapped for time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Also, note that archtyping became more pronounced with the rise of the moe sub-genre. Have you heard of SaiMoe? Have you ever followed one before?
This seems like an almost inevitable consequence of the success of that kind of harem/'pick your own girl' game and story type. I mean if the appeal is to varied interests (dare I say fetishes?), then you'll maximize appeal by increasing the number of girls. Using simple 'types' as the basis of characters lets you maximize the number of girls introduced for any given show or game (I believe the measure is in new girls per linear meter of film: g/m - clearly an archaic measure derived from before anime production was digitized).