View Single Post
Old 2009-08-27, 05:58   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post

True. However, I would say that, if we go for the character itself, not physical appearance, I would say Mikuru is the girl who he likes less. Of the three she is the one who she trust less. She is the more attractive in his eyes, though.
I agree. Overall, I think that Kyon likes Haruhi more than he likes Mikuru. That he can't admit to himself.

Quote:
I kinda agree. I you know how to handle her, she is a fun person. She is very annoying to most, however. And her acts to the CCP prooves she can be 'dangerous' too.
Oh yes, I agree with this. Haruhi would make a great friend... but she'd also be somebody you'd hate to have as an enemy, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
With the exception of the Nagato part, the FIRST novel spells it out. Mikuru is completely convinced that her merely being close to Kyon is enough to set Haruhi off, and she only admits to being from the future when Kyon asks about her personal life.
That alone doesn't really tell me that KyonMikuru is no-go for life. It just tells me that KyonMikuru is no-go for the extent of time that Haruhi is into Kyon.

We, as fans, are assuming HaruhiKyon is predestined... and it might be... or it could, in theory, simply be the Haruhi has a long crush on Kyon and Kyon helps her out for a key period of time, but she ends up with another guy... freeing Kyon up for Mikuru or Nagato. It's not entirely outside the realm of possibility - I mean, it's certainly not likely, but it's not like the novel has absolutely blocked itself off from this avenue.

One more thing I want to say on Kyon, and I'm surprised that I haven't mentioned it yet...

He is the ultimate anti-exploitation character. He is so anti-exploitation/opportunistic that it's incredible - it's definitely one of his more admirable character traits in a morality sense, but also paradoxically one of his more questionable character traits in an intellectual sense.

Kyon basically knows that there's a girl with high-end reality altering powers that is very attached to him.

Now... you don't have to be a megalomaniacal villain to see the possibilities here. In fact, I should hope that everybody sees the possibilities inherent in this situation right now, before reading further.

I think that almost any character (other than Kyon) would at least be tempted to do the following given his situation...

1) Be really, really nice to Haruhi, do everything possible to get on her good side (up to and including becoming her boyfriend), and even leave her feeling indebted to you in some way if at all possible.

2) Then tell her how powerful she is, and persuade her to believe it. Use the "I am John Smith" line to make her consider that what you're telling her is true. On another board, I wrote the sort of dialogue that I think could get Haruhi to really test out her powers.

3) If you successfully complete steps 1 and 2... you now have, in essence, a fully self-aware genie with limitless wish-granting abilities that's your best friend/girlfriend. Eat your heart out, Disney's Alladin!

"Hey, Haruhi, why don't you have... I strike a Dr. Evil voice and look: One trillion yen!... just magically appear in two brand new Swiss bank accounts for you and me? Imagine what we could do with that money!"

"Hey, Haruhi, why not make us immortal, eh?"

"Hey, Haruhi, wouldn't it be cool to own an animation studio?"

"Hey, Haruhi, why not make yourself Prime Minister of Japan and me Prime Minister of Canada? It would be a blast!"

And so on, and so forth.

It just blows me away that Kyon doesn't even once seem to consider going down this path. Sure, dude, you find her annoying, but still... think of the possibilities!

In this sense, in particular, Kyon is perfect for hiding the fact that Haruhi is so powerful from her. A lot of people in his situation would try to take advantage of it, I think.