View Single Post
Old 2009-09-11, 19:57   Link #278
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
Not having read the VN, the episode was indeed confusing.

Pluses: Rosa and Maria taking on the goatheads was pretty awesome, with great music.
Rosa's dinner scene was pleasantly gruesome, though I'm not sure if she's alive or dead at this point (evidently this scene was located in Purgatory in the game, so I guess it's the latter). It's also a bit strange to reveal her secret resentment of her family members after she makes her final reconciliation with Maria, surely it would have been more touching the other way around?

Minuses: The incomprehensible sequence of events, as mentioned earlier. I'm all for a little wierdness, but this was just random, really.
Beatrice happily slaughters the Ushiromiya family again, this time explicitly using magic, and Original Battler just says "Yeah, well, I still don't believe you're a witch, let's go for round three!" I understand that what we, the viewer saw was probably not what Original Battler saw, but it's pretty hard to empathise with him as a result. (Whether what was presented was what actually transpired is an interesting question.)
Had been hoping to see all seven stakes in human form by the end of this arc
In the VN as well, EP2 is the most confusing episode by far. Ryuukishi even admitted that he probably made it a little too 'hard' for the casual reader, and the anime version is even harder, if anything.

Hopefully, the anime version of EP3 will address a lot of the questions from this arc. Even so, EP3 is a question arc, so there are more new questions than answers. But at least you'll have a general idea of what's going on.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page