View Single Post
Old 2009-11-01, 01:10   Link #62
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I've actually had that thought, myself. Still, there's been nothing to suggest that he's dead in the manga's storyline so far.....
There's nothing to suggest he is alive....

For example, when we talk about Magellan sailing the 7 Seas, we do not preface the statement by saying "When Magellan was alive...", no we simply say that he sailed the 7 Seas. Shiki has only been addressed as a man that broke free of Impel Down (somehow, for all we know he could have had help escaping, ala Naruto and friends), nothing has been said to indicate that he did much else afterwards...

In other words, it is just as likely for him to be alive in the manga, as it is for him to be dead...

Then again, he is probably alive kicking it with some homies in Zihuatanejo (cause that's where you go after escaping from prison)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
However, if Shiki is still alive in the manga, then he'd undoubtedly be a Yonkou-level opponent, since he was known to be as legendary a pirate as Roger and Whitebeard. Of course, even if he's Luffy's enemy in the movie, the same may not hold true for the manga......
Again, why? There is certainly no doubing that Shiki is legendary, but so is Robin (and arguably Ace and Luffy), and her (their) powers are not Yonkou level. Being legendary, like having a high bounty, does not specifically mean uber strength. For example, Buggy will be legendary after this upcoming arc is over, but he will never be able to stand toe-to-toe with the Big Dogs.

In the end, Shiki will undoubtedly be strong, but I seriously doubt that he will actually be of a similar level to Whitebeard or Roger (or Shanks, Mihawk, Garp, Sengoku, etc), otherwise any lose he may have with Luffy and company would be too plot-contrived, in fact so plot contrived that a miniture black hole will form in the theatres because of the sheer suckage involved in making a Yonkou level opponent lose to a current version of Luffy...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote