View Single Post
Old 2009-11-02, 06:45   Link #6435
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Not to drag this off-topic, but i don't - actually The full title is "Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume", and the later part is where the quote comes from. Literally translating a name of a person is never acceptable, this isn't even debatable really. While the meaning behind her name is definitely intentional (and the reason the translators likely opted to ...well ... translate it, is because they thought the meaning would likely be lost on many otherwise), it is not her name in any way. In essence they have randomly renamed a character with such a translation, because a name and the metaphorical meaning a name might have are two different things and not a substitute for each other in a literal way. Its like taking Aoi from Aoi Yori Aoshi and translating that as Blue-chan, because that is what her name means and she has blue hair. You just don't.
lol, I was being silly with the comment on your sig (I know what the game is called after all), but otherwise I totally agree with you, I feel the same way generally

And just to get back on topic again, I'll ask what this is:

Somehow she (and the art style) looks familiar, can't think why though.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote