View Single Post
Old 2009-11-02, 23:46   Link #71
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
you are talking about an animated Shounen film directed by a novice director who only has One Piece to his credit. So, while you’re basic point may be correct (i.e. the medium can be adequate for decent character development to allow for a stalemate to occur (which I never once disagreed with, rather I disagreed that with the assertion that this movie could accomplish such a task)), the fact that you are dealing with a "genre" that demands something conclusive, even if it is asinine, almost immediately discounts your point.
There doesn't have to be a defeat in order for the ending to be considered conclusive. Oda could give the film a significant underlying message subsequent to Luffy and Shiki parting ways that compensates for the lack of a decisive victor (something that you feel is an absolute necessity when it is not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Shiki will either be defeated by Luffy (if Shiki is less powerful than Roger (etc)), die by over-exerting himself, or be defeated by someone like Whitebeard (this will only occur if Shiki is as powerful as Roger and the others).
Shiki is obviously not as powerful as Roger or Whitebeard, but he is classified as a legend by the likes of Sengoku, Garp, and Shanks (all high-profile characters). That alone is enough of an indicator that he would be able to trounce Luffy in a fight. It's safe to assume that any prominent figure from Roger's era makes Luffy pale in comparison to them. Like marvelB said, Oda is going to have to nerf Shiki pretty bad for Luffy to stand a chance against him.

Anyways, volume 0 will hopefully confirm how powerful Shiki truly is.