View Single Post
Old 2009-11-05, 03:17   Link #6
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachs0r View Post
I've been doing this for quite a while now and I thought I should share my knowledge with everyone here.
Most people here have been doing it longer than you.

Quote:
No (working) native AviSynth
There is, it's just not public, because nobody wants to share and encourage server-side encoding. Personally I agree with that outlook.

Quote:
VirtualDub/DirectShow doesn't work too well with wine
Works fine for me in both linux and freebsd, and I use a distro that's known for it's wine issues.

Quote:
No native subtitling filter that works like VSFilter (and can emulate it's bugs correctly)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85227 Faster than VSFilter too, a lot of people are asking for a dshow filter for libass it's that good.

Quote:
Avidemux (and avsproxy.exe, which comes with Windows builds of Avidemux).
Don't ever use avidemux, it's terrible.

Quote:
DirectShowSource didn't always work the last time I've checked (about 8 months ago), so you should use FFmpegSource2 instead (which seems to do a better job with converting VFR sources to CFR anyway)
Not only are you doing it wrong, you don't seem to know anything about DSS. DSS automatically assumes and converts to CFR, it is not capable of VFR. ffms2 on the other hand can do whatever. AVS itself is not VFR aware however so it's not a big deal. Neither source plugin converts to CFR, it assumes CFR and creates VFRaC.

Quote:
There's no sound output
Google for avs2wav. You shouldn't be using avs for much audio stuff anyway, trims should all be done with split_aud.pl, which runs natively in *nix anyway.

Quote:
Only YV12 color space is supported for video output (but that shouldn't be a problem, because MPEG4-ASP and MPEG4-AVC use this color space anyway)
Not even remotely true. I've output RGB perfectly well, as well as I422. x264 and whatnot all require YV12 input anyway so again, not a problem so much as an ignorant user.

Quote:
The good news is that everything else seems to work fine without modifications, including VSFilter.
VSFilter has a bug in the way it handles spacing, you might not have noticed it is all. It's wine's fault with VSFilter and no matter your VSFilter interface the bug is still there.

Quote:
I hope that helps a few people here, feel free to start the usual Linux vs. Windows trollfest.
Linux is dumb anyway, go use fbsd now.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote