View Single Post
Old 2009-11-07, 07:26   Link #7
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I encountered this too, managed to bypass for the first time, but months after that I wasn't that lucky. So I have to use this slow cr*p what eats my memory and harddrive. Did I mention that I know someone who's pc is too slow for this and she can't use Messenger anymore, cutting her off from her friends and relatives? Thank you, Microsoft, I hope all of you will burn in Hell.
If a PC is that old, they should invest a couple of hundred to buy something that came out a year or two ago. I mean it's like expecting microsoft to maintain Windows 3.1 because some people don't want to buy/can't afford a new computer.

Technology advances, and there's an expectation that as it progresses, older hardware falls off the support map. According to MS, WLE only needs a PC with an 800MHz processor with 128MB RAM for an XP machine. And while I really wonder how well it works on a PC that slow, no one I know has anything slower than a 1.8GHz P4 computer, and that's already 7 years old. The new Messenger 14.0 works fine on it.

While it would be great if MS could maintain the old clients with an as is policy, if the security vulnerabilities of the old clients can compromise the new clients, I can completely see why they would pull the plug on the old versions. There's no sense putting your whole network at risk just because some people don't want to upgrade.

Anyhow, looks like they must have boosted the version reqs. I was using Messenger 8.5 as late as a week and a half ago fine. On the other hand, they did send out warning emails about 3 months ago informing people that version 8 would soon require users to upgrade to maintain service.