View Single Post
Old 2010-01-01, 15:58   Link #1962
Arkwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicknevin View Post
Honestly I don't believe it either. It's just the only other even slightly plausible theory to explain who could have appeared as Beatrice at the end of Episode 1.

And, I don't things are gonna be that easy regarding Beato. Battler didn't recreate the illusion of the witch, he just made up a new human theory. He himself realized that since the crimes were solvable, magic couldn't have been used to commit them.

That doesn't mean he can't build up a new illusion over the course of Episode 6 though.
But thoughout the whole trial, Beatrice was arguing for a human theory that was different than Erika's. It was said that as long as there wasn't one single human truth decided upon, the illusion of the witch still had space to exist.

As for episode 1. Is it really that impossible for it to be someone other than Shannon? I think people fall into the trap of assuming "Beatrice" is always the same person... The "Beatrice" that shows up at the end doesn't necessarily have to be the culprit, it could be anyone who is still alive and isn't one of the cousins.

Why does it have to be a woman? From what I remember of the ending of episode 1, the person they found was never really described. Just, Maria ran up to someone in the darkness, calling them Beatrice. Then "Beatrice" laughed loudly.

So for starters, I don't think Kanon is out of the question, and he is widely speculated to have survived his twilight.

Personally, I think it was Eva or Hideyoshi. I just posted my ideas for episode 1 in a post in the general spoilers/speculations thread which includes details for how that could work. (I've only read up to episode 5, no new spoilers here.)

But to summarize... Honestly it's always confused me why people are so eager to point to someone in the first twilight as the culprit. It's a sketchy claim in multiple ways.

1. "Unidentified corpses"... If you ask me, Shannon's corpse fits this more than anyone. It's not like Battler couldn't see the corpse at all, he just couldn't see her face.

2. The brand-new lock on the shed door, with the only key given to Natsuhi. It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but still, the red truth is not the only thing in the way of a first twilight victim coming back and killing someone else.

3. The idea that Shannon was actually alive puts a heavy importance on Battler's viewpoint. But, is there even a "detective" yet in the first game? I don't think this is a trivial question.

Personally, I try to avoid anything that requires "interpretation" of the red truth. If I know the answer, I should be able to go back and look at things with no objections, and Shannon surviving fails that test for me.

In comparison, I think there is a simpler and more viable candidate for a fake in the second twilight. Some people (seemingly including Battler) don't even look in the room, and even the people who looked in the room would not have been able to see Hideyoshi even if they went inside, so his death especially is fairly easily falsified. Furthermore, someone drew a magic circle on the door during the short time it took Kanon and Kumasawa to go grab a wire cutter. In other words, before anyone entered the room, someone who knew there were "corpses" inside went up and painted a magic circle on the door during a tiny time-frame in which they could have been discovered by multiple people. And if they were real murders and the painter was the culprit, getting caught drawing a magic circle on the door would have been basically saying "I killed them" after people found what was inside.

So, the magic circle seems like a big clue that the second twilight was faked, at least in part.

A couple other questions for the assumption that Shannon = Beatrice: If that's the case, who is the person who wrote in Maria's diary, wrote the bottled messages, and had the cash to send out the PIN envelopes before the conference started (and how did they know Ange wouldn't be there?) Also, who was responsible for episode 3 and 4?

Last edited by Arkwright; 2010-01-01 at 16:13.