View Single Post
Old 2010-02-13, 18:07   Link #6119
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
What's the external line anyway? With the internal line I thought it was wiring in the walls that made it work, but I'm not sure how the external line works. The external line might be referring to the radio rather than a phone line.

If I remember correctly Kanon explained the phones not working in episode 1 as being because the mansion was really old and they could break at any time, but Kanon wasn't the person who checked the phone line, and I think Kanon was narrating the story in that scene.
In the days before cell phones and satellite phones, the "external line" would almost certainly have been cabling run between Rokkenjima and Nijima along the floor of the ocean.

I find it highly improbable the cabling would be broken out at sea. It was almost certainly either damaged in a lightning strike (blowing out the box where it attached to the mansion) or deliberately disconnected at one end.

Note that we can't exactly be entirely sure which end, if you want to buy into an off-island mastermind theory.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote