View Single Post
Old 2004-08-28, 14:13   Link #9
_yeah
poseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
While I agree that 'zu' probably looks better, it does make it hard to diferentiate づ and ず. But, in order for romaji to flow well, it generally doesn't make it easier to differentiate things. Like shinichirou could be しにちろう or しんいちろう.
I think the romaji systems we use as English-speaking anime fans are considered somewhat superflouous in the eyes of many Japanese. For them, romaji is simply a way of mapping Japanese sounds to roman letters for use in places where direct Japanese text cannot be used (such as a URL). Of course, the same people who would use 'du' for づ are probably the same ones who would use 'ti' for ち. Which... would make no sense to most people who don't know much about Japanese. "What? It doesn't SOUND like ti to me..."

As a community geared towards making anime available to those who have no knowledge of Japanese, I think we should stick to using romanization systems that are easy to comprehend for absolute beginners. Which, yes, means sticking with 'du' would probably do more harm than good.

And yeah, the whole n thing is a bit of a bitch. We have the ' thing. Not everybody remembers to use it. Most of the times we can figure it out from the context (most people who know enough Japanese would probably already assume "Shinichirou" is しんいちろう ), but meh. It gets even funnier with wapuro romaji (sinnnitirou! woo!). What can you do?

Hell, not even digisubbers can agree on how to romanize things. We have translators that prefer jya/jyu/jyo over ja/ju/jo, and keeping "wo" even when it's used as a particle, so trying to figure out what to do with づ is just another facet of it. And before you ask, I don't think we're going to be able to standardize on one system any time soon - translators tend to be a picky bunch.

On a side note, I personally think the best approximation of づ for a beginner is actually 'dsu'. Here, "Kannadsuki". Unfortunately, yeah, it does look somewhat unnatural. Saves a bit of ambiguity.

While it's true that our current bastardized system based loosely on Hepburn with various varations between translators isn't always quite true to Japanese, it's perfectly servicable. I mean, hell, it's better than using some kind of wapuro romaji. (onegai texi-cha- anybody? )

edit: god damned smileys screwing with Unicode characters followed by brackets...

Last edited by _yeah; 2004-08-28 at 14:43.
_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote