View Single Post
Old 2010-06-07, 17:12   Link #185
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I can turn the argument around and challenge you to find the equivalent of Seikon no Qwazer or Queen's Blade or AkaneIro or 11eyes (as in mediocre anime that will be forgotten in the five next years) from the 1980s or the 1990s that 1. managed to not be filtered by foreign (american, asian or european) licensors. 2. Were not forgotten in the shameful corner of the mind of anime fans who had the misfortune to watch them.
You insist on making this Retro vs Modern and it's not. I'm sure you are right and anime of the past decades included a fare amount of mediocreties (not sure this was your point .. blame it on my English) just like modern does, and maybe more, I wouldn't know .. However, the fact stands that

1- The amount of modern anime (well animated) with good story/plotline/depth/originality etc. is not sufficient and in most years a minority. Not saying that in earlier years the good/bad ratio was better, but rather asking, if we do know classics have a fare amount of well written good stories why not reanimate them and so we would have 5 good anime series in every year instead of 2 for instance, without actually having to go through the burden of creating new stories.

2- The modern industry apparently realized the saturation in some of the genres and sort of stopped (or hugely decreased) producing work that goes in those categories/genres .. perhaps in attempts to seek originality, or maybe because there's just no more room for writing one more Mecha story that wouldn't be either immitating Gundam zeta or stealing stuff from Gundam beta, or something .. eitherway, reanimating some of the good stuff (while entirely commiting to the original scenario) will not fall in the "WOULD YOU PUHLEEEEZ STOP REPEATING ANDROID MAID STORIES" category and yet give us - modern fans - a chance to appreciate the good old stuff.

On a side note though, if this actually WAS a Retro vs. Modern argument I would actually vote that in the time period of 1960s to 1990s we have a much richer material than what the past 10 years or so provided ..

Sorry about the lengthy post .. expression abilities
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote