View Single Post
Old 2010-06-08, 10:33   Link #194
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I know a number of Evangelion fans who have argued that Rebuild does not capture the spirit of the original and are just the anime equivalent of Hollywood action flicks.

I personally like the fact that Rebuild seems to be a more... "positive" take on the Evangelion storyline. Which probably sounds a little strange coming from a guy who outright admits to loving sad anime, but I didn't find the original Eva sad so much as bleak.
Yeah, capture of the essence is hardly something that can be gotten right. My main gripe with remakes nowadays is that more often than not, the guys just don't put enough effort in the remake (EVA is being more an exception than the rule). I would not exagerrate if I say that remakes such as HnK, Cobra or Saint Seiya are still plagued with having as much still shots as they did in their previous incarnations.

In an age where computers are supposed to ease it up a bit, that is sort of jarring, and this is not because your close-ups are more detailed than the average of today that you will conquer a new public. Ok, I get that they want to cash in the nostalgia, but this just could not work alone.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote