Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-06-13, 07:19   Link #7781
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

If you ask me, Singapore is going to be the next Japan if we don't shoot our Minister of Education.
We need to bring Tharman back. Or Vivian Balakrishnan could step in. Both are ACSians (and so is the late Goh Keng Swee) and have at different occasions, stressed the importnace of finance and ECONOMICS in Singapore schools (I took Econs once so as to avoid Sciences).

[FYI, I studied S1-JC2 iin Singapore!]

The current minister was already a flap by "misleading" the public on the PSLE reform...

Singapore emphasizes teaching of mother tongue languages

Quote:

Local newspaper the Straits Times said that it has been receiving complaints from the public that a cut in the mother tongue languages weighting would lead students to take the subject less seriously.

Critics also said that de-emphasizing the mother tongue in primary school is a short-sighted move that will undermine Singapore's bilingual edge.

Ng Eng Hen on Tuesday apologized for misleading the public, saying "This is not the case. I think I should have chosen my words more carefully and apologize for creating the wrong impression."

Quote:
Both governments aren't helping their citizens to learn something called financial planning for the future.
I kena "cultural tsunami" when I went back to Japan after graduating from a Singpaore uni. to go to a Japanese college as a Asian-studies lecturer, after 10 years of being in Singapore, and the first thing that struck me was that Japanese students' concept of money is very poor, they don't understand how our economy works, they don't understand much about banks, they don't even know the BASIC 10-year cycle of the economy!

[As in, the economy is worst in the last 2 years of the decade, then picks up for 2 years, then down for 2 years, then slowly works upwards for 2, before 2 years of peak, then, it all repeats.]

Why? There's no tuckshops in Japan at all (as in, they bring their own food most of the time or else it's school-served "free" food, never bought), Economics doesn't exist as a subject (it's part of Maths, but only ONE CHAPTER in High school), and most Japanese just want to be a salaryman or in the case of scientifically inclined ones, a doctor or scientist or engineer. Few people want to be in bankers outside Tokyo.

And most believe that Japan's ecomony is forever going to tay in a straight line, they don't believe it can get worse, nor better.

Quote:
Since the value of "working hard" is defined by academics in both societies, what the youths would lose out in is generic skills and general knowledge, i.e, using Google (no I am not joking, how many times have you guys here heard of people you know telling you to help them find a piece of information easily available on Google, other than job opportunities?), most of which are valuable to personal independence.
Singapore? Unlikely. Japan? Likely. I came across that before. IN UNIVERSITY!

Quote:
On the local context, our polytechnic and highschool students are losing out to ITE (Institute of Technical Education) students,
Depends on what you're looking for...

Quote:
who are considered to be the "recycled and less intelligent of the society who cannot do well in school" (utter bs if you ask me), in this way because they do not know how to manage their money once they lose their day jobs.
Hm, well that's because the current minister is ploughing more money into science (to boost R&D) and ignoring Economics and the humanities (Tharman was fair to all subjects.)