View Single Post
Old 2010-06-19, 15:25   Link #1
Falkor

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Manga Discussion

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is a light novel series written by HIRASAKA Yomi and illustrated by Buriki, with 3 volumes so far released. The manga adaptation is done by Itachi and is serialized in Comic Alive.

This thread is intended for the manga adaptation of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. Please, do NOT post spoilers from the light novel.

A spoiler is anything that discloses an event, character, plot or other information before it is revealed within the specific work being discussed---Spoiler Policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-U
Hasegawa Kodaka has transferred schools, and he's having a hard time making friends. It doesn't help that his blond hair tends to make people think he's a delinquent. One day, he runs into his bad-tempered solitary classmate Yozora while she's talking animatedly to her imaginary friend Tomo. Realizing that neither of them have any actual friends, they decide that the best way to alter this situation is to form a club and start recruiting.

That is how "Rinjinbu" was formed, a club specifically designed for people who don't have very many friends. As other lonely classmates slowly join their little club, they'll try to learn how to build friendships through cooking together, playing games, and other group activities. But will this group of relationship-challenged misfits really be able to get along?
Links: Manga.

Novel Illustrations:

Spoiler for Novel Illustrations:

a few comments
:

Read the first chapter and found it pretty interesting. Loved the facial expressions and the neat artwork. I read the light novel afterwards and liked it, too. The male character reminds me of Toradora's Ryuuji's; he is also a kind-hearted individual misunderstood by his classmates due to the way he looks, and thus the few friends he has (actually, does he have any friends at all?). So far, only two girls have been introduced---there are a couple more, though---and the interaction between them, oddly enough, reminds me of Selnia and Tomomi from Ladies vs Butlers---for how they hate each other to incredible levels. Loved Yozora slightly more because she is cunning and cute, and has an imaginary friend, lol; her "friendship" with Sena---who she hates just the for the heck of it---is one of the the most interesting aspects of the work. it's the moment you can appreciate her character in all her splendor, so to speak. Sena, though, hasn't quite clicked on me yet, probably because she reminds of Selnia---from the looks down to the personality, she is a mirror image of her---which doesn't help at all, given that I didn't like her character. However, when these two are together, you can't help but find the girls quite likeable and thus the situations very enjoyable and entertaining. Forming a club of weird individuals and for dubious reasons, at first, reminded me of Haruhi, but that's probably the only thing I found in common so far. The manga/novel seems more akin to Seitokai, but with more interesting and strange characters---and a quirky humor to boot.

With regards to the first chapter, I've seen the '"Yami Nabe" setup before in GA Art Design Club, so I sort knew what kind situation/humor to expect. and even so, it was surprisingly funny and entertaining with all those facial expressions. you can't help but love those two (Yozora and Sena) fighting each other over every thing, from the beginning to the very end, from blaming the current situation to the other to arguing over the food. the prologue is a good setup for the manga and in many ways superior to the light novel. But I would like to see more exposure of the other characters; glasses girl seems to be particularly interesting, even though I know little to nothing about her.

By the way, both the light novel and the manga have really good and eye-candy character designs, which makes the work the more attractive; I will put the novel one step ahead, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an anime out of this, but we can only hope. :P

Last edited by Falkor; 2010-07-21 at 08:43.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote