View Single Post
Old 2010-06-27, 12:05   Link #396
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailEmperor View Post
That just gives me more reason to hate Del Rey. Damn language barrier...

Anyways, before I tackle the book, and just because I want to know, can I ask in what way/style/dialect/etc does Mikoko speak in, or how? Is there any other characters that has a unique way to talking? I'm sure there are since this is Nisio here. I'm also sure there are numerous wordplays , puns, and abnormal/freakishly cool names that are hard, if not impossible to translate. So, I don't really have high expectations of Del Rey.
No particular dialect or words, exactly, but most of her sentences end with a っ (small tsu), which makes them seem breathy and bouncy, like she's an excited, cute little bunny. She also has this habit of comparing the protagonist's quirkier lines with made up situations gone odd, that are insane and incomprehensible. No idea how the poor translator handles this.

Aikawa Jun speaks in a very manly way, which might not come across too easily in English.

One character has the given name むいみ (Muimi) which means "pointless" (speaks like a gangster), another character is called Emoto Tomoe, which in Japanese is an anagram, but not in English. There are probably more I haven't realized in my ignorance. Nishio basically never uses sane names.

As for puns, yeah, they're everywhere. Nishio's favourite thing is playing with words, and all his books are filled to the brim with crazy language tricks. The most immediate example is the chapter titles, which have homonym-ish subtitles. He also keeps describing different paths taken through the streets of Kyoto, so you may want to have a city map at hand.