View Single Post
Old 2010-08-23, 12:31   Link #18
marsd
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
[..]

High School grade mistake. Japanese schools are 3 year schools. If the anime set in America this does not apply(most animes take place in Japan though) Thus:
1st Year = Sophomore not freshman.
2nd Year = Junior
3rd Year = Senior (No idea how they get this right if they call a 1st Year a freshman but they do for some reason.)
Beg your pardon, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sophomore and freshman for first year is also the correct term.

Just use first, second, third year student instead of these terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
[..]

This did not work in the versions I saw the error in. the computer I am viewing on has no east asian support as it is a development computer with different purposes so it doesn't need tons of text support. But just adding a font is not going to help with something like this unless the font added is set up to default to the asian character set I believe. I could be wrong though because I personally have never attempted to fix such an issue as I myself never noticed when I was actively fansubbing.
I've had good experience with using UTF-8 supported font to display east-asian characters and special symbols in softsubs on computers that have no east-asian language support.
marsd is offline   Reply With Quote