Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-08-27, 01:50   Link #8818
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
People can diss me on this, but at least Jackie Chan's trying to show that he is not a racist or anything against my countrymen and wants the peace between Hong Kongers and Filipinos alike.

And that's the end of this post. I won't say anything else.
Jackie screwed the whole thing up with his saying by trying to defend the PNP at the beginning. He definitely oversimplified the whole incident. There was no "dilemma" between negotiation or taking action in this case, simply because PNP did NEITHER properly. There was NOTHING you could really say at that point to defend against the fatal mistakes made by the PNP, especially as a Hong Konger.

I think the vast majority of people agree with the later part of his saying, and that is not to direct their anger at Filipinos living in Hong Kong. However, maybe that wasn't the smartest timing to say so when it was just hours after millions of HKers watching the Philippines government screwing the whole thing up with so many lives lost live on the TV. I think it's understandable that many HKers had irrational anger at that time (probably including me).

Even though Jackie is a celebrity of Hong Kong, he often talks like he is an outsider more than a HKer. He often talks about the wrong things at the wrong time, and very often he doesn't really understand what he is talking about.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!