View Single Post
Old 2010-08-28, 10:58   Link #1002
ArcticHelm

I think it's pretty hard to clarify the books/episodes. :< A lot hinges on whether or not they (the first two) were written before or after the event on Rokkenjima. If it's before, you could say that all the information about that two day period are really based on some story and hope that Beatrice had in regards to Rokkenjima and felt that whatever hope that was wouldn't be fulfilled on the game board. They perhaps felt that it could only come true if, as a witch, made everyone believe that it came true. Perhaps the story Battler will give in EP8 will show that something more than an illusion came out of these stories, and that the hope Beatrice wrote about was actually fulfilled in some manner. If the stories were written -after- it's curious who actually managed to survive and wrote these particular variations of the events on the island. The stories in this case could actually contain tidbits of information on the true events.

My personal interpretation is leaning more towards the first of these two, which would be an interesting fake-out on Ryukishi's part. Actually it'd be the nastiest bait-and-switch I've ever read. >.> It would be possible to suggest that even though Bern says in red that this story will have no happy ending, that it only applies to the story which was forged out of the bottled messages. The story one Rokkenjima itself may actually unexpectedly be a much different story than the one which Beatrice expected and launched into the sea, and one in which a good ending could be met.