View Single Post
Old 2010-08-29, 23:22   Link #16806
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Brushing of something, that has been implied often enough during the course of the story that the premise of 'necessary implicatures' is fulfilled, it borders onto obstinacy. You're only argument left is, they cannot be the same person, because I cannot imagine people not noticing the difference, but it has to be true unless you want anybody else from the circle of George, Hideyoshi, Kumasawa, Nanjo to be Kanon.
Knox's 10th, it is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any CLUES!. Violates the spirit of the rule if not the letter, as things construed as clues on this path are paper thin. You can, of course, argue that none are needed because no disguising as another occurs, but presenting a single one as more than one. Well, ok, we disagree. Can we talk about something more interesting?

Mind you, I don't want anybody to be Kanon. Except maybe Kanon himself, but I'm not sure he's really necessary. If he doesn't have a bodily existence at all in some plausible fashion, I can accept that just fine and would actually like it quite a bit better.

I don't treat a story as hyperrealistic, unless it claims to be a puzzle with context beyond just being a story or just being a puzzle. Your average murder mystery does not. Your average fantasy does not either. Umineko does. Vocally. It really cares about engaging the reader. Well, it got me engaged, if it doesn't match up now that's not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitwospirit View Post
Perhaps if she and Krauss are responsible for the burnings... they're just taking advantage of a bad situation? Or maybe, something that might be more likely, it's a threat specifically directed toward the two of them, something like "I know your dirty secrets."
Threat directed at them may be a good explanation, but "taking advantage" definitely isn't. TLDR version is "because they could have manufactured that advantage months ago".

In Ep5, the plan is clearly stated that Kinzo is to be reported missing. Keeping the body around does not in any way help this, and actually prevents such a report, whatever state the corpse is found in. As reporting him missing only produces a legal death seven years later, this plan suits Krauss+Natsuhi's goals perfectly.

There are numerous ways to dispose of a corpse, and most of them are readily available to the conspirators. All that is required is giving everyone unaffiliated with the plot a holiday for any plausible reason (say, Golden Week. And send Gohda off to supervise Jessica on a trip to Delsneyland.) so you have the island to yourself. That's how I would do it -- but if you can create the illusion of Kinzo being present and running around the mansion for an entire day without getting caught, you should be able to create an unobserved path for the body to leave the mansion even if potential witnesses are present on the island.

Then you can incinerate it and scatter the ashes across the ocean, bury it somewhere deep inside the island where people never go, encase it in concrete, fry it into nothing with potassium permanganate, dissolve it in lye, in feed it to the fishes -- I could go on. While keeping it around securely is possible, not only it's terribly inconvenient and unusually morbid, it entails a lot of trouble if it is ever by any chance discovered -- but getting rid of it is perfectly safe once you get it out of visibility range.

Of all these methods, burying it deep in the forest is the least secure, but also the easiest and the most obvious. It also involves people knowing where it is, and theoretically allows them to dig it out. Only, if they weren't too stupid and didn't bury it in the rose garden, but dragged it off into the forest first, you basically can't dig it up at night and in the rain, it will take you most of the night to do that if you can even find the place. And when you get back, you'll be covered in mud and barely walking.

So if someone dug Kinzo up, they have done it in the morning of the 4th or immediately prior to that -- to minimise the chance of it being discovered in it's temporary hiding place. Most probably the 4th, because if anyone can cover for your absence, there's also a time span between all the nonessential servants leaving and guests arriving when there's no likely witnesses.

At least, that's my logic. It's either that or the bathtub, and I can't find a rationale for the bathtub. I tried.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote