View Single Post
Old 2010-08-31, 11:43   Link #16
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Rand Paul is his father's version of the Libertarian party, not Goldwater's, and Goldwater's is the better since it does not really deal with social issues, only economic and defense. Paul opposes abortion and same-sex marriage, and his bioethics stances are completely contrary to my own.
I don't agree with many of his social policies, either. But if you know about their stances, it shouldn't matter. They believe those issues are up to the people to vote for on a state level, and don't advocate their positions politically beyond pointing out that fact.

Quote:
He wants to do away with the Dept. of Education (which I agree needs vast revision, but is still fundamentally good and intrinsically beneficial to society as a whole).
He wants to do away with it because it has become a monster of political interest that has run out of control. Many of the national education programs introduced by the past few presidents have hurt education, not helped it. And if the department of education is really a good thing, why were Americans more educated in comparison to the rest of the world before it existed?

Quote:
His support of the review of the 14th Amendment also turns me off.
He actually doesn't want it to be repealed or reviewed - all he said on the issue is that private businesses shouldn't be mandated by the government on who they serve as customers. A debatable stance, certainly, but his view on the issue has been mischaracterized.

Quote:
I do not want to divert the discussion too much, so I will leave it at that.
You're a moderator so I'm sure you would understand better than I, but isn't this still on-topic? I thought political discussion was more or less intertwined with this thread.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote