Thread: Umi no Misaki
View Single Post
Old 2010-09-13, 17:02   Link #898
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Not neccisarily. I don't think it'll go the horror route. Still though, something about the setting and the ritual bothers the hell out of me. Speaking of the ritual, we know nothing important about it. There is one MAJOR piece of the process being kept in the dark to us readers. That is, what happens to the two that don't get favored. Now, I'm not saying the villagers are going to cook them or any crazy shit like that. But the fact that we know next to nothing about this part of the process leads me to believe that it won't be all sunshine and rainbows for the unpicked.

Also, they hinted at self sacrifice. Ever since they alluded to that it was never brought up again.

Overall, I just find this whole thing a bit uneasy. This chapter kind of reaffirmed my belief of that. Now, I know it's hard to tell tone in manga, but Oba looked pretty serious when she said that. She seemed a bit more serious then the grandma figure we're used to.
Yes indeed ... I have also thought that there would be some element of self-sacrifice involved in the story down the line.

I also agree that Oba-san looked very serious. She seems to be the sorta "spiritual mother" of the island - in particular in watching over the Cape Maidens, and in many ways. (Remember when the Cape Maidens went to the beach barbecue with Nagi and she and the school principal were looking on and discussing the fact between each other?)Part of me has thought that Rinne might be her "future successor" (maybe neither here nor there).

But looking back on the author's previous work one of the themes was the main characters (Aoi and Kaoru) "breaking" with "old traditions", if you will. I would not be surprised if that theme was brought to bear again here - perhaps even with Nagi sacrificing himself somehow for the sake of the Cape Maidens? (Just speculation though.)