View Single Post
Old 2010-09-14, 10:55   Link #62
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleno View Post
Lawrence… He is an interesting person for me. And I like his character because of his mind, reflections and behavior in different situations (mainly in the situations generated by Horo). In addition, he isn’t a “too nice” as he stays ruthless in the dealing, but acts in accordance with the principles of humanity. He is simple "nice".
Lawrence is definitely a well-crafted character (zing). Holo's interesting, but only because Lawrence is there. I get the impression that we're seeing a version of Lawrence that Holo has been bringing out, much like we're obviously seeing a version of Holo that he's been bringing out.

I'd say he's more meek than "nice". It's heavily implied that he's been a victim of circumstance, and is nice merely because he has to be to succeed in business. You'll notice that every time he gets a chance he turns pretty greedy and tough, and ultimately his meekness and selflessness only surface because he's more worried about Holo than succeeding as a merchant. At times it seems he's actively suppressing his true nature. Mark comments on it in volume 3, and in volume 4 Holo herself is shocked by him and jokingly asks if he's really a wolf.