View Single Post
Old 2010-09-28, 13:37   Link #110
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
So was about half the cast. What exactly was Yui the Generic Tsundere's purpose? Or Saki, for that matter? She had a few good chapters but apart from fangirling over Zastin she had even less purpose than Yami did. Or Run and Ren for that matter, though they at least introduced some Ranma 1/2-ish Genderswap comedy to the mix.

Yami did have one thing that the rest of the cast didn't, though; she had an elaborate backstory. And by elaborate I mean moreso than "I was Lala's childhood friend/rival/plaything!" Everyone else just kinda came as they were, Yami's the only one with a Mysterious Past, which didn't really even get hinted at until the tail end of the manga. Up until that point we knew she was an assassin and she'd been around the galactic block a couple times, but we didn't really know much else about her; it gives her an aura of mystique that the other characters don't have. For those of us who prefer a side of plot with our fanservice, she was by far the most interesting character.
I was speaking out of personal opinion. I never liked Yami, so I'm not going to give a damn about her elaborate backstory. You have to enjoy the character to some degree in order to enjoy stuff like that.

I agree that she did have a mysterious vibe going on, but I didn't really care because her character didn't appeal to me at all from the get-go. I wasn't talking in terms of plot. I was talking about my personal opinion on her character. I'll take my generic tsundere instead.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote