View Single Post
Old 2010-12-06, 05:28   Link #48
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This episode, while it may have been fine in a 26 episode anime and if it occurred earlier in the story, is a terrible waste of the little time they have left in this season to do anything significant. Hence why I rated it a 1/10. Normally I may have given it a 6/10 at best.

I'd list my complaints about this episode, but there's hoenstly so little content to talk about at this point, that I have nothing to write. Basically it was pointless fluff that just gave more screen time to her two friends. Kirino was just being Kirino again... Kyousuke again was being a saint. Sigh...

Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughter house 5) once listed the 8 rules for short stories, and I am going to list them because I pretty much agree and think they are very applicable to what is so far just a 1 cour anime (1 cour is pretty short).
  1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
  2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
  3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
  4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
  5. Start as close to the end as possible.
  6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
  7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
  8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

I feel it is pertinent to go through this like a checklist for Ore no Imouto, but I will go out of order.

Originally the show fulfilled rule (2) with Kyousuke, but as his intentions over the show's long run have become incredibly unclear, I find myself unable to root for any character in this show (Kuroneko? She's not exactly a main character so that doesn't cut it).

This is also a problem with rule (3), as we don't really know what Kyousuke wants at this point. What he stated in the Manami centric episode, is clearly being contradicted by his actions. He also hates his sister, but still breaks his back for her. Umm... What?

Now rule (4) has been quite broken quite a bit since episode 6 or so. There has been no real character advancement, or plot progression since then. This episode for example served no purpose. Kirino didn't change, her friends didn't change or get development, and Kyousuke was again being an idiot without a cause.

Rule (5) is a bit ambiguous and doesn't really apply here. I suppose it's fulfilled that, seeing as we didn't get a full timeline of their reltionship since they were kids.

They've actually half-assed rule (6) seeing as Kirino is made of nothing, and we only got to see what Kyousuke is made of in every supposed dire situation. Father? Nope, she didn't confront it. Ayase incident? She failed utterly. Anime production episode? Just appeared as immature and didn't do anything. Yeah, apparently your main character is made of nothing.

When it comes to rule (7)... I'm not quite sure if they are meeting the rule or not. Instead of trying to please everyone it almost seems like they're trying to enrage everybody with what seems to be the bitchiest cast of girls I've seen in awhile.

Rule (8) is a definite big f*cking failure. Information is almost nonexistent since episode 1 or 2. We know nothing about our two main character's pasts. Explanations for character actions are missing almost entirely. We've also yet to truly meet the supposed main conflict in the story (Kirino and Kyousuke's supposed bitter past). Moreover, we have no real understanding anymore of where they are heading with this plot.

Now backpedaling to rule (1)... They are definitely not using our time in a way that doesn't make it feel wasted. Many of the recent episodes make us question the point of the show. At this very moment, what am I supposed to get from this show? That Kyousuke is a saint above all saints, and is the best big brother ever? Lol, yeah sure...

Basically this show is failing 6/8 rules (Passing 5 and barely 7 if at all). Is this story badly written? Why yes, yes it is. Nothing more to say. I'm basically only going to finish this show at this point because I'm so far in and did enjoy it at one point, but there is no more joy in viewing it.