View Single Post
Old 2004-10-16, 22:12   Link #20
Shift_

Just because we do it doesn't mean someone else does it.

I don't think they do. Why would they? I mean anime isn't the most popular thing in japan...although it seems to be America's 'window' into japanese culture

Anyways I am no expert on Japanese culture, since I'm chinese (altough chinese/japanese culture does collide alot, and is very similar in alot of tersm) I've lived in canada all my life so my 'sense' of culture is skewed and blended.

However with the time I've spent in asia...with family and friends there I've never heard of 'fansubs' of american shows...although I HAVE seen dubs of VERY popular american shows (mostly simpsons...however it didn't seem to be all that popular...). Knowing english means nothing haha I mean I swear if I didn't have friends/family there that knew the language to where i've traveled, I'd wouldn't get nearly as much of an experience.

And anime there I guess by alot of people is like what our 'cartoons' are like. More of a passtime, or just something to watch. I mean I guess it's popular, but I don't think it's as popular as people think it to be (but I could be totally wrong about this) (cept for simpsons...I mean simpsons RULES )

Think about it this way, majority of 'american' cartoons is wayyyyy below that of anime. They also have alot of sitcoms which are REALLY good and I would have to say still above our 'american' sitcoms.

The East and the West I think are completely diffrent and seprate, like comparing apples to oranges...

I mean I'm sure there are japanese people who DO watch american shows, and maybe there are small groups out there...because I only have had a limited perspective on what I've seen. But it's kinda hard to see.

It's just something you gotta go see...the way they do things, think, and their daily lives just seem 'diffrent' I mean it is kinda normal to me, because I do some of that stuff, but other things are just 'diffrent' I guess? who knows.

If they DID fansub some of our american cartoons though that would be pretty neat.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote