View Single Post
Old 2010-12-26, 23:45   Link #504
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think what you pointed out is true to a degree. I do feel it sort of weakens Haruhi's supposed "importance" in the grand scheme of things. I suppose the "weak" explanation of this would be that Yuki didn't actually use the full capabilities of Haruhi's powers, but rather only borrowed "some" of her powers.

The other thing I'm going to mention is that for me personally, it wasn't watching alternative Yuki's actions that made Disappearance one of the more entertaining novels in the series for me, but rather Kyon. In fact, as much as I like Haruhi, it is Kyon himself alongside the more scifish aspect of this series that really make tihs series for me.

Anyhow, without digressing... Part of the problem with over analyzing something like the Haruhi universe, beyond the idea that time travel itself and such doesn't actually make sense, is that this sort of story is preposterous in the first place. Just like Code Geass, you must embrace the preposterousness of the story to not trip on the details TOO much.

I for one would most likely have reacted like you did if I wasn't so entertained by the characters and story. The story isn't perfect for sure. I rate it a 10/10 because my enjoyment level was that of a 10/10. If I was being more objective, it would have got an 8.5-9.0 at best.
Sometimes if you're a fan enough of something, and the enjoyment value is high enough for you, you can overlook the flaws in a story and suspend disbelief. Unfortunately this means people are rather particular about when they are willing to do this....myself included. Haruhi seems to be one of those rare cases where the overwhelming majority of fans are willing to do this and base their impression of it solely on enjoyment. Code Geass is a pretty good example of another one, though I'm not sure it was to the same degree...maybe the ratios the same, I don't know, Code Geass was impossible to gauge because no other series this decade really generated anywhere near the same number of viewers and forum commentators.

Funny that in a series so overwhelmed by female characters it is the male character that should prove among the most popular for many. Easily the most relatable character for me in the franchise too...easily since he's the only one with a personality complex enough to sustain his character beyond just his design....but I still don't really buy the idea that he liked his situation this whole time. I think he was mostly trying to be altruistic and do what ought to be done for the sake of the group more than anything as opposed to being selfish like we might expect him to be and choosing the easy boring life. If I look at it that way the character still comes out of the movie fairly strong in my book. As for the rest of the characters....well.... Anyway among the parts of he movie I enjoyed most was seeing the internal struggle against his own flawed self laid out in a visual symbolic scene. What surprises me though is that many people seem to think things like this are unique to Kyoto Animation when it comes to anime. I mean if people love that sort of thing like I do then I have tons of shows, directors, writers and manga-ka I can recommend to them that use that sort of visual style to illustrate character development and exposition scenes. Just ask me in a PM and I'll be more than happy to try and hook you up folks.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-26 at 23:55.