View Single Post
Old 2011-02-25, 02:31   Link #66
potchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
She can but in all honestly it doesnt look like it. In terms of popularity she isnt all that popular. Because frankly she is an ugly girl with an ugly personality (Senna's personality doenst even look that bad compared to Yozura).

Its shallow but its easier to root for an ugly girl with good personality or the good looking girl with irksome personality (though bit harder but still gets enough popularity like Louise from ZnT), but Yozura is an exception - not only she looks ugly from the outside (of course this ugly comes from 'manga-novel' terms ugly because in manga no character can be fully ugly) but she is also the most ugly from the inside as well.

Childhood card is not giving her enough redemption. She may be a jerk with golden heart somewhere but all other girls are so much better looks and personality wise than her still, that if the author would end with Yozura as a final girl right a bigger part of fans of the story would be against it because again Yozura is just ugly on every aspect so far and those little glimpses of niceness just do not help with anything because the gap between her and all other girls in the manga is just too deep.
Manga? I'm only going to assume your view on Yozora's based on manga (which is what? start of vol2?) not the LN *checks this is the right thread*

To me, Bokutomo is first, and foremost a comedy, then a romantic comedy. On that front just about all of the funniest scenarios come from Yosora's antics. She makes me grin and marvel at her craftiness, yet at the same time her constant unfortunate failing on the romantic front is funny + cute!

And finally on a meta level, that Sena got her own spin-off already, is partly due to her popularity, but also very likely you can rule out a totally Sena-centric plot from the source.

Last edited by potchip; 2011-02-25 at 02:43.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote