View Single Post
Old 2011-02-28, 17:03   Link #22054
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Yea, like she had the time to read War and Peace before suits would pull her off the roof. Most likely, and implied in the actual work, is that the Meta-World is real and Ange's memories were plugged into an earlier version of herself; otherwise you have to entertain the idea that Witch of Truth Ange is pretending to be on a boat and just chilling, which is...silly.
It's quite probable that she had already read the message bottles and Hachijô Tôya's books when she went up on that roof...unless she already had a certain idea of something being behind aunt Eva's lies and the public rumors she would have never had any reason to try and jump to her death in the first place.

To a certain extent I would agree, the Meta-World is real, but I would construct the effects a bit differently.
Instead of saying that Ange went on in time and all the later "Anges" were downloaded into the "Roof-Ange" again, I would say that time stopped for Ange from the moment that Bernkastel appeared before her. Through her inner struggle she tapped into the Meta-World and became disconnected from time and space. Like Featherine said, to a witch even 2 weeks can become an eternity of 100 years (which was also a clear reference to the struggle in Higurashi I think).

Quote:
Or EVERYTHING happened.
That's where we can try and put the universal rules of Higurashi and Umineko together. Of course in a way everything happened if we believe those to universes to function on a similar basis. But those other Kakera have no real influence on the people of that special 1998 in which the Ange we see and follow is situated in.
Spoiler for Higurashi Rei:

There might be a Kakera where the lost child became Ushiromiya Lion and lived happily ever after with his relatives, but for that to be the truth of that 1998's past he would still have to die in 1986 with all the others.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall
It's a very different thing when no one but your family benefits, but ultimately I'd still say disclosure cannot harm you in the long run. So you have a disease, and revealing this fact would be hurtful. More hurtful than the gossip? Once it's confirmed, there is no more gossip; it's just a fact. And eventually facts lose their novelty and luster, and slip out of public interest. In a few years, no one would care. People who have no secrets are immune to the worry and guilt that someone might find out, and besides, better to control disclosure of a truth on your own terms than to have it found out and spread about maliciously.
I think you are highly underestimating the malice of the public if it comes to exploiting the weakpoints of others or transforming things into weakpoints. Your idea is nice, but often enough it just doesn't work.
Tell a gay man he should just make his sexuality public, even though he lives in a highly religious smalltown in the US. Okay, in the best case scenario he is accepted and all his worries are cleared...but he could just as well be killed in a hate crime the very same night. Would death be alright in this case, because it came as a result of a reaction towards truth?!
The same would happen if it would be made public that the family of a child is responsible for a mass murder (and it's indicated in Ange's reaction to the diary that it is at least partly true) and maybe even further crimes like incest, abduction, maltreatment of minors. How would you think would that child be treated? You saw how the people treated Ange and Eva even though they weren't sure...do you actually think they would treat them better because they know it is true?!

Of course Ange has no part in that murder, but the idea of hereditary evil is still too strongly rooted in people's minds.
How often have I met people who didn't want to associate with someone because of something their parents did. You can take another example of the past...in many parts of the US Germans are still viewed with a certain kind of distrust, even though most of those Germans had no part in the Nazi regime anymore, still the fear of inherent evil is stronger than any logic.

Of course it was wrong to keep the truth about Rokkenjima from those who lost someone in that tragedy. But I can understand why someone would keep it from the public, because it doesn't make anything better...in the best case scenario people loose interest and forget it altogether.

Last edited by haguruma; 2011-02-28 at 17:18.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote