View Single Post
Old 2004-10-28, 17:32   Link #10
Akirasuto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
Off topic but I just want to say that unless you are REALLY planning to go to mainland China, learning simplified Chinese is completely useless. Most, if not all, Chinese people overseas use traditional, heck even Taiwanese people use it. You will find youself not knowing how to read a lot of traditonal if you only know simplified.
I don't want to sound rude but you doesn't seem to know China has been using simplified for a long time. It is the proper way to write, period.

If you find yourself unable to read a lot of traditional because you're familiar with simplified, I suggest it's the otherwise -- you aren't familiar with simplified at all and therefore unable to to read the traditionals.

I also find it interesting that most people do not realise that English has been simplified many times, the modern english now, the 'old' english, and the even older form of english which is mostly pretty much straight rip from French, German, Latin, and other languages in lesser proportion.

So, want to stick to 'traditional' english? I am sure you will find it in a world of pain.
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote